Just a quick note to let everyone know that AVG 8.0 Service Pack 1 (SP1) is in closed BETA testing, which is set to close on July 16th. It stands to reason that there will be a release soon after, though no official release date for AVG 8.0 SP1 has been set. When SP1 is ready for release it will be pushed out to your computers via the automatic daily updates. The same goes for AVG Admin 8.0 SP1, which is also currently being BETA tested internally.
Finally, a BETA version of the Exchange 2007 plug-in is also being tested.
Click here to register to become a BETA tester
Here is a list of improvements being worked on in AVG 8.0 SP1 (NOTE: This list is subject to change!):
-Added ability to start a scheduled scan by clicking on the item in the list of schedules, and selecting from the context menu.
- Remake of internal communication to eliminate undesired program status appearance (hibernation, sleep mode, cold restart, ...).
- Display of the system tray icon representing running scan (that can be paused or stopped from the context menu).
- Added option to ignore the status of a component: the system tray icon then reports OK status even if a component is in error status.
- New tab added for the rootkit findings in the scan results overview.
- System restore point is created before launching a program update.
- Added new option verifying the ADMIN Server connection in the program's advanced settings.
- Improved EML file processing including scanning of user mailboxes.
- RAM requirements optimization.
- Improved statistics of detected objects in Email Scanner and resident Shield.
- New design of the system tray pop-up window, and more information provided.
- To eliminate AVG collisions with OS, only minimum drivers are installed in safe mode; then it is possible to launch on-demand scanning from the command line only, and a new GUI dialog has been added to ease the scan configuration.
- Added option of restoring a file from the Virus Vault to the original folder even if the folder has been removed.
- Added option of deleting the Resident Shield and Email Scanner history.
- Improved stability and design of GUI.
- Improved GUI accessibility (using keyboard).
- Fixed problem of GUI compatibility with some screereaders, e.g. JAWS.
Here is a list of improvements being worked on in AVG ADMIN 8.0 SP1 (NOTE: This list is subject to change!):
NEW FEATURES IN SP1
- Oracle supported
- DataCenter upgrade (update database from the latest public build)
- Admin Server notifications sent via e-mail
- Alert Manager Events from stations are saved to DataCenter and displayed in console
- New help files and context help files added
- Station settings: mandatory settings locks (+ Admin Mode removed)
- Test button added to verify communication between a station and DataCenter
IMPROVEMENT AND ENHANCEMENTS
- Station settings: automatic assignment of mandatory settings
- Station settings: Appearance item added
- Station settings: Anti-Rootkit item added
- Enhanced maintenance scripts
- Graphic reports: new template added
- New filters added for the console views
- Scan Results enhancement
- Server: regular backup/export of the database
- server settings: logging configuration removed
- Monitor: new statistics
- Remote uninstallation: deleting a station from DataCenter
- Firewall settings: added synchronization of general settings including profile selection
- Managed Update: events reported
- Stations descriptions added
- Station settings: added License Number, User, Company
- Status window notification sent when the allowed number of licenses has been exceeded
- Menu Information: new item link added going directly to the AVG ADMIN documentation for download available on AVG website
- Quick help files enhancement
- Optimization of performance during DataCenter export/import
- Allowed actions list extension
- New communication protocol with new layer architecture
- More intuitive and user friendly GUI
- Simple and easy to understand terminology
- Simplified deployment of Remote Administration
- Improved remote and script installation processes of AVG
- Update URL for shared stations is set as mandatory by default