EMS VSAPI memory leak

Assistance with AVG Admin, AVG Internet Security Business Edition, AVG Anti-Virus Business Edition, formally called "Network Editions"

Moderator: Moderators

EMS VSAPI memory leak

Postby ITMan » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:39 am

We reported a memory leak since upgrading to 2011 on an SBS 2003 R2 on 24th April 2011. Despite subsequent requests all we get is rather stupid emails asking us to provide more information. Their stupidity is that they cannot explain what they want, forget to attach files which might help collect information and general silence in between.

Has anyone else experienced problems of this nature. Is it time not to bother with AVG? Are they just a bunch of cowboys?
ITMan
AVG Wannabee

Advertisement

Re: EMS VSAPI memory leak

Postby agua-moose » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:43 am

Hi,

I have experienced the same thing but with excessive CPU usage. Using AVG 2011 (server edition) on a SBS2003 R2 box running Exchange 2003 (latest service pack).

After upgrading from AVG9, there were no problems at first. Then I started getting a lot of errors in the event log about exchange virtual memory usage and virtual memory fragmentation. This continued over the next 24 hours until Exchange just stopped sending any emails. After re-booting, the SMTP service and IIS services wouldn't start properly.

I then found out about the iisreset /stop and iisreset /start commands which I ran and successfully got email and intranet back up and running. Then again, another 24 hours later, exactly the same thing.

Normally, our server ticks along at an average 1-3% CPU usage. The disk queue length and pages/sec figures occasionally spike but normally tick along at a very low level. I noticed that with AVG VSAPI plug-in running, all of these figures jumped up way high. CPU was up to around 30%, disk queue and pages/sec were constantly maxed out. Disable the plug-in (wait about a minute for it to stop) and the figures return to normal. I disabled it and rebooted the server on Friday and it's been completely fine over the weekend.

If you download Process Explorer from Microsoft's website, you can see how the VSAPI plug-in affects the store.exe process very clearly.

I also had some hilarious "advice" from AVG (like check whether I had things like LinkScanner enabled which doesn't even exist in the server version). I am still awaiting a sensible reply from someone at AVG who actually has a slight clue what they're talking about (this seems to be quite rare, as I've often been given conflicting advice from different people there, and they seem very quick to blame some other process on your computer).

At the moment, I just have the VSAPI turned off but that's really all we use AVG on the server for so if they don't come up with a fix this week, I'll definitely be getting my money back and going elsewhere.
agua-moose
AVG Wannabee

Postby agua-moose » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:56 am

Just for comparison, I logged the performance stats last week.

This is what the graph normally looks like:
perfmon-VSAPI_off.jpg
Performance graph - VSAPI turned off
perfmon-VSAPI_off.jpg (84.77 KiB) Viewed 5928 times

and this is what it looked like last week with VSAPI turned on:
perfmon-VSAPI_usage.jpg
Performance graph - VSAPI turned on
perfmon-VSAPI_usage.jpg (165.26 KiB) Viewed 5928 times
agua-moose
AVG Wannabee

Postby sc123 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:05 am

Did you send these charts to AVG, telling them specifically that it's the VSAPI component?
Regards,
SC123 - Founder, http://www.AVGForums.com
-------------------------------------------------------
Complete uninstall/reinstall method | Other tools to try | Search the forums!
sc123
Forum Administrator

Postby ITMan » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:25 pm

Oh, and remember to tell them it's a computer-as well!!

Still going back and forth with standard emails which refer cfg files that don't even exist!

ITman

PS Nice colours.
ITMan
AVG Wannabee

Postby theextendedname » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:21 am

I have the same issue. It appears that the option to preform background scanning of the exchange store has no memory of the previous install of AVG. So it is rescanning the whole DB and causing heavy CPU/mem usage. However, users are not complaining of a slow down. I just don't like pushing servers that hard for a AV scan.
Fix:
1. Disabling Background scan in the "E-Mail Scanner for MS Exchange (VSAPI)" component fixes the issue until AVG coders can limit the scan resource usage to a more reasonable level.
2. I do recommend leaving "Proactive scan (incoming messages) " enabled.

The attachment Screenshot.png is no longer available
Attachments
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (24.46 KiB) Viewed 5810 times
theextendedname
AVG Wannabee

Postby Arthur » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:51 am

Some things to Note when working on Exchange servers, you can have many different roles setup in Exchange.

I am working on a document to better explain what AVG components to use based on your Exchange setup with the fewest amount of pages and on a Basic level.

If you are an Exchange guru please contact me to go over some typical Exchange setups for 2003,2007,2010 so I can provide better documentation possible picture setups?
Feel free to give me ideas on how I can make life easier with your Exchange setup

http://aa-download.avg.com/filedir/doc/ ... 011_04.pdf

As far as issues with the VSAPI component please contact me so I can resolve your issue.
Arthur M.
Level 3 Support Technician
AAS, Information Systems Security

AVG Technologies USA, Inc.
Education, Non-Profit & Government Division
US Business Support Phone #866-201-0003
EDU,NPO,GOV Support Phone #: 866-833-5727
Arthur
AVG Know-A-Lot

Postby Toms-Cruiser » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:15 am

I have the same problem with my SBS 2003 server. Installed AVG 2011 email server edition in April and the server has never been the same since. With the old version of AVG installed it never went wrong.

I get allocated memory alert and virtual memory fragmentation warnings which progress to error. I have had to resort to scheduling a restart every night.

So now I just saw the post about turning off background scanning so I'm hoping this will help.

So far I am considering ditching AVG for good even though it cost us about £500 !!!
Toms-Cruiser
AVG Wannabee

Postby Xiron » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:44 am

Hi All

We've noted exacly the same problems with Exchange 2003 ent based on Win 2003 std. Everything was the same. Store.exe was taking more and more memory and finally was stopping server - mail services. Previously we had AVG 9.0 and everything was fine till we didn't install ver 2011.
At this moment we've switched off background scanning and server working normally. No more warnings and errors 9582.
We've passed this issue to local AVG office and waiting for responce.
I'm just wondering should we turn on proactive scanning or not. Could you please share your experiences in it with us? I hope this option will not "eat" all memory like it was with background scanning. Is server stable with turned on this option?

regards
X
Xiron
AVG Wannabee

Postby Xiron » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:29 am

Hi All

Finally we've decided to install again AVG 9 for Exchange. All issues stopped. We've tried to tune ver 2011 but without result. Still memory in server was on higher than usual level. Server was working one weekn and again we saw message about def. memory.
Store now is taking 600 MB memory against 1,2 GB with 2011 ver.

Good news is that you can install AVG 9 Mail edt on mail server and leave 2011 on other machines(including AVG Admin 2011) .
What you have to do in Admin is :
- go to AVG Admin->tools->AVG Admin server settings->on UpdateProxy tab add two lines:
http://update.avg.com/softw/90/update/
http://backup.avg.cz/softw/90/update/

it will require restart server with AVG admin and from this time machine(s) with AVG 9 will update properly virus databases.

Best regards
X
Xiron
AVG Wannabee

Postby sc123 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:38 am

Xiron wrote:Hi All

Finally we've decided to install again AVG 9 for Exchange. All issues stopped. We've tried to tune ver 2011 but without result. Still memory in server was on higher than usual level. Server was working one weekn and again we saw message about def. memory.
Store now is taking 600 MB memory against 1,2 GB with 2011 ver.

Good news is that you can install AVG 9 Mail edt on mail server and leave 2011 on other machines(including AVG Admin 2011) .
What you have to do in Admin is :
- go to AVG Admin->tools->AVG Admin server settings->on UpdateProxy tab add two lines:
http://update.avg.com/softw/90/update/
http://backup.avg.cz/softw/90/update/

it will require restart server with AVG admin and from this time machine(s) with AVG 9 will update properly virus databases.

Best regards
X

AVG 2012 is out now - give that a try and let us know what you find.
Regards,
SC123 - Founder, http://www.AVGForums.com
-------------------------------------------------------
Complete uninstall/reinstall method | Other tools to try | Search the forums!
sc123
Forum Administrator

Postby trichromic » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:05 am

Hello everyone. We have the Exchange Server Component out there any many Windows 2003 Servers and have experience this problem with a handful of them. When the Exchange component was enabled, the disk queue and pages per second would flat-line at 100%. The quick solution was disabled the component so the disk I/O returned to a normal level.

I could go on about all the possible solutions we tried but I know you are only interested in the one that worked! We've never been a great fan of defragmentation utilities on Windows servers but we had tried everything else and had run out of options. So, we went ahead installed a very well know utility (starts with D and ends with R). The Exchange databases (EDB and STM) were on a different RAID array to the system partition so we went ahead and defragmented that. after about 3 hours the job was done and we enabled the Exchange Component. The I/O was then at a sensible level but we could only tell if that fixed the problems when everyone returned to work the next morning.

Well, that morning was today and the server has been performing brilliantly! The disk queue and pages per second have been at a level you would expect from this server during normal working hours and our customer is no longer complaining!

I hope this helps everyone out there with this problem.

Regards, Lloyd.

Trichromic LLP.
trichromic
AVG Wannabee

Postby trichromic » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:14 am

I forgot to mention that we experienced this problem with 2011 and 2012.

Lloyd
trichromic
AVG Wannabee

Postby nanookz » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:00 pm

Has anyone else experienced this issue lately? We have sbs 2003 and previously had avg 9 installed. I installed 2012 in November 2011 and have been having mail flow problems since. It took a couple of weeks to discover there was a problem because of updating and reboots. Mail would stop coming in or going out of the server. After a reboot things would run again. It would run for an random amount of time and then mail would stop up. Today I came across this article that say that the problem may be related to avg 2012. Per above, I have unchecked the background scanning that is suggested so I'm hoping that the issue is now fixed. After unchecking the background scan option do you need to reboot to have store.exe release the memory?
thanks
nanookz
AVG Wannabee

Postby Toms-Cruiser » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:09 pm

I had this problem with AVG 2011 last year to the point where I had to take it off the server because my client was getting so annoyed with emails not being delivered. The very moment AVG is uninstalled the missing emails get delivered. I foolishly left the server unprotected for about 3 months. It worked flawlessly but became infected with a trojan so I decided to install the new AVG 2012 edition. AVG 2012 email edition removed the virus and the server worked fine for about 2 weeks. Then the same problem resurfaced - incoming emails stuck and not being delivered . Again I removed AVG and instantly the emails are all delivered. I must also point out that when AVG was removed the server was not restarted.

I have now installed Kaspersky on the server and when our desktop licenses expire I will not be renewing them.

Techinical support department were useless. I was treated exactly the same as other people who have posted about this topic. They just kept saying "oh ring us when it next happens" Well there isn't going to be a next time because my client is not going to tolerate their email server not working.

I will now tell all those in I.T. about my problems so they can decide whether they really want to invest their money in AVG. Personally I will never buy AVG again.
Toms-Cruiser
AVG Wannabee

Next

Return to AVG Business Editions and AVG Admin