Resident Shield Exclusion Lists not working

Assistance with AVG Admin, AVG Internet Security Business Edition, AVG Anti-Virus Business Edition, formally called "Network Editions"

Moderator: Moderators

Resident Shield Exclusion Lists not working

Postby bmccandless » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:58 am

I have a continuous problem on 150+ XP machines all running managed AVG 2011. Users are receiving a false alert trigger for an executable file necessary to their primary app, and I have whitelisted the entire directory containing this file in the Resident Shield exclusion list. I have also individually listed the exe in the ID Prevention console, and confirmed the setting has synchronized with all machines and shows in local consoles. The alert is random, and on some machines has never happened, but others continue to recur and and new machines pop up occasionally. I am less concerned with the false alert than the fact the exclusion list doesn't work. What am I missing?
bmccandless
AVG Wannabee

Advertisement

Start Your Own Webstore - Get a FREE 14 Day Trial of Shopify!

Re: Resident Shield Exclusion Lists not working

Postby sc123 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:51 pm

Add it to the PUP exclusions - Tools>Advanced>PUP Exceptions.
Regards,
SC123 - Founder, http://www.AVGForums.com
-------------------------------------------------------
Complete uninstall/reinstall method | Other tools to try | Search the forums!
sc123
Forum Administrator

Postby neoikon » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:43 pm

I am running AVG 2012 and I added a file (and the path it is in) to the Resident Shield Exclusions list as well as the PUP exclusions list, yet I still am getting threat warning. I then added it to the Identity Protection Allowed list... and it still throwing the threat during a scan.

Is there something else you can recommend I try?

Thanks!
Daniel
neoikon
AVG Wannabee

Postby sc123 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:14 pm

neoikon wrote:I am running AVG 2012 and I added a file (and the path it is in) to the Resident Shield Exclusions list as well as the PUP exclusions list, yet I still am getting threat warning. I then added it to the Identity Protection Allowed list... and it still throwing the threat during a scan.

Is there something else you can recommend I try?

Thanks!
Daniel

You have to add the exclusion to the scheduled scan in order for it to be excluded during said scan.
Regards,
sc123
Forum Administrator

Postby neoikon » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:57 pm

sc123 wrote:You have to add the exclusion to the scheduled scan in order for it to be excluded during said scan.

I'm not seeing an "exclusion list" under the scheduled scan settings. The only thing I see is to manually select every folder except the one I want excluded. While this may work, how would it handle new folders created in the future? Default to scanned or not scanned?

I'm actually seeing the threat being detected during a manual scan (versus a scheduled scan). It seems I'm unclear what the "Resident Shield exclusion list" and "PUP exclusion list" actually do if the threat is still identified during any form of scan.

Thanks for the reply,
Daniel
neoikon
AVG Wannabee

Postby bmccandless » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:00 am

sc123
You have to add the exclusion to the scheduled scan in order for it to be excluded during said scan.

Does this mean that exclusion of directories and files aren't enough to keep certain files from being flagged and quarantined? Is it that application folders are less of a threat than system folders and can be safely removed from protection? I have a customer with 150+ computers using proprietary software that contain 100+ executables in the app folder, and the worry is that any of these can randomly show up as flagged after virus def updates.
This problem affects several of our customers we manage server/workstations for, and AVG is part of our service offering. This is not a small or one-off problem.
bmccandless
AVG Wannabee

Postby exangel » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:50 am

I'm just a single user but I am having a similar problem.
I have manually excluded an executable file as well as the whole directory it's in (Also excluded the file as a PUP), and every time a Whole Computer Scan or Gadget Scan is run, it's detected as an infection and quarantined anyway. I'm annoyed that there isn't even a prompt that asks me what I want to do with this file (I have disabled automatic removal in the places I've found it enabled), when it's detected after I've set it to be excluded. I don't use scheduled scanning at all, I've always been a bit OCD about manually maintaining my systems.

I've never bought any Anti-Virus software in which exclusion doesn't work, so I'm a bit puzzled. This is in the span 15 years of using internet-capable computers.

For the record, the file is a patcher/launcher for an online video game (See http://schtserv.com/) that is no longer being supported by its original publisher, and I think that's why it's giving a false positive from heuristics. I've had other game patching utilities be detected as false positives before by other AV programs when I was 100% sure they weren't malicious, so that's why I figure this situation is similar.
Detail:
Code: Select all
 "";"C:\SCHTHACK Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst\SHPsoBB.exe";"Virus found Win32/Heur";"Moved to Virus Vault"

I'm on Windows 7 x64 and I also have TuneUp Utilities 2012 installed.
For now, it's an annoyance that I have to manually restore my file every single time I scan, but seeing that a business customer with the same problem on a LOT more clients has gone 12 days without a follow-up answer is a bit worrisome.
The fact that I cannot report the file as a false alarm either, is also upsetting. The form won't let me submit the information without attaching the 2mb file (despite saying 20mb is the limit).

edit: additional info italicised
exangel
AVG Wannabee

Postby sc123 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:24 pm

neoikon:

If you go to Tools>Advanced>Schedules>Scheduled Scan>What to Scan tab and click "Scan specific files or folders" you'll be able to exclude a certain folder during the scan using the code below. You can do the same for the manual scan from Tools>Advanced>Scans>Whole Computer Scan.

From the AVG help file:
If you wish to scan a folder without subfolders, you only have to enter a minus sign "-" in front of the path in the text field. E.g. "-C:\Program Files\" will scan only contents of the Program Files folder, and no subfolders.
To exclude specific subfolders from the scan, you can use exclamation mark "!" E.g. "C:\;!C:\Windows" will scan disk C:\ except the Windows folder.

bmccandless:

You have to exclude the files/folders in several places in AVG to completely exclude them, including the Resident Shield, PUP and any scans that you run. It may seem annoying, but it's so that you can have more granular control over what does and doesn't get scanned.

exangel:

See above.
Regards,
sc123
Forum Administrator

Postby stephanieg915 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:06 am

Whenever you need to carry even bigger items, such as health and fitness center clothes, journals, coast bath towels or even instructions, the hold purse specials you plenty associated with place to supply your merchandise when you have to obtain anywhere. If you would like a new carrier to wish for the swimming pool, water resistant soft options are plentiful, in conjunction with a number of other easy-to-clean or even top quality products. If you want a roomy bag to make use of for the fitness center travels, this Timbuk2 Scrunchie Handbag is big satisfactory to hold your clothing and also extras, as you move the Hadaki by simply Kalencom No cost Heart Carrier will be colourful and flawlessly sort of to want for the selection or car park for just a mid-day barbeque.To certainly be a artist, Mister. Kors has been as fast as appreciated while declaring that they endorses to or maybe divulge it's direct exposure their identity additionally developing understanding in the past manufacturing of odors. Therefore, with 1999, any time Handbags Electrical outlet Power web site unveiled it is as an alternative very first ladies's parfum while using the Parfums Givenchy certification, staff had been extremely in style.In revenge connected with particularly precisely what your alternative will be,or perhaps Marc Ecko Hermes belts view, typically pick a well-liked local store that may promise superb increased top quality and also durability. You could make your dude the content one who owns these sophisticated designer watches and earn his time.Michael Kors BagsWomen can very easily pick intriguing styles when planning to dress things up. You will discover definitely attractive sequence website link models which are both traditional and also skilled, relying on stuff their conclude will be. For all those planning to have a little bling on their clothing, you'll find also recognizes having fundamental designs but stunning libraries regarding semi-precious rocks placed in for many years. These kind of watches can be obtained from a fantastic variety of floor plans at the same time and go from the standard to your basically luxurious.A brand-new style and design that will received in winter months style trend such as a growth is the capes. They can be superior winter months sheets having start the front, without having fleshlight sleeves and also rather has a resemblance to the actual poncho, even so inside a quite a few procedures! Capes usually are brand-new coating in the interval demonstrated with versions through just covering shoulder muscles for you to extensive draping types. They're going almost all effectively in excess of beefy knits, matched up with over-the-knee shoes or boots.The encounter from the globally Three becoming successful sectors, or your company's greatest "stunning functionality, Chairman in addition to Main Professional Policeman of the Higher Tiongkok Lida Kang created virtually a quite a few years this high-end of an tale: Internet site furthermore opened up lifestyle luxurious customer designs.This Prada unique possesses all of the attractiveness and class to be able to slimmer any type of form of autumn attire. The actual Prada Start Tote has a basic however desired gathered design after a little major manage. This particular eye-catching custom get functions a new completely removable shoulder joint wedding ring, brand Prada front side business logo having steel products information. The Prada Open up Tote is manufactured out of suede and it is supplied in colors golden and crimson. For many additional offered shades, search through Prada on-line.Whatever your option is,or maybe Marc Ecko enjoy, usually decide on a exceptional suppliers that could most likely guarantee you exceptional top quality and sturdiness. Help make your individual a new pleased one who owns most of these advanced watches making the morning.
stephanieg915
AVG Know-A-Lot

Return to AVG Business Editions and AVG Admin