2011 client unable to connect to Admin Server on same host

Assistance with AVG Admin, AVG Internet Security Business Edition, AVG Anti-Virus Business Edition, formally called "Network Editions"

Moderator: Moderators

2011 client unable to connect to Admin Server on same host

Postby libove » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:18 am

Here's my environment:
Windows Server 2008 (32-bit, original edition), Domain Controller, also runs AVG Anti-Virus Business Edition 2011 Admin Server.
On that same Windows Server machine, AVG Anti-Virus Business Edition 2011 (client) including the Remote Admin client.
Three other machines on the LAN - all Windows 7 64-bit, all running AVG Anti-Virus Business Edition 2011 (client) including the Remote Admin client.
The LAN is flat - no routers, firewalls or filters of any kind between the workstations and the server (not that it should matter, since the problem is between the server and itself! Read on, please...)

Here's my difficulty:
Though all three of the Windows 7 clients' AVG Remote Admin clients connect successfully to the AVG Admin Server on the Windows Server machine (after I fixed incorrect Windows Advanced Firewall rules which were automatically created by the AVG Admin Server install process - I'll post that in a different thread), the AVG Anti-Virus client's Remote Admin client on the Windows Server itself cannot connect to the AVG Admin Server on the same host.

Reproduce the problem:
Open the Windows Server host, open the AVG Anti-Virus Business Edition 2011 client. (It shows a warning that the Remote Admin client is not active). Open advanced settings for the Remote Admin client, and enter the same data which is working for the three Windows 7 clients - specifically, the server's name ("RESET7") and the standard ports (4158 to connect out to the Admin Server, and 6051 for inbound connections). Click the "Test connection" button. For about the length of a normal TCP connection attempt timeout (45-60 seconds), it shows "Starting connection test ...", then it changes to "Connection test timeout expired". Sniffing packets on the Server's one active Ethernet interface does not see any packets on ports 4158 or 6051. Sniffing packets on the Server's other existing interface - a virtual adapter for OpenVPN - correctly sees no packets.

Windows Advanced Firewall rules (after my connection profile correction noted above) appear correct. I see rules permitting inbound connections on TCP and UDP on all ports to the AVG Admin Console, Admin Server, Alert Manager, Diagnostics, Installer, Network Installer, Server Deployment Wizard and Server Monitor processes. Outbound connections are permitted by default. And the correct Domain profile is active.

I have also tried configuring the Remote Admin client to talk to the FQDN and to the specific IP address of the Server's local Ethernet interface, and also loopback (127.0.0.1). None of these made any difference.
Locally on the Windows Server machine, connecting to http://[local Ethernet adapter's IP address]:4158 does successfully bring up the AVG Admin Server's status page.

I don't see where the Admin Server creates a log file, where I might see what's going on; and there are no relevant events in the System or Application Windows Event Logs.

What does it take to get the AVG Anti-Virus Business Edition 2011 client software's Remote Admin client to be able to connect to the AVG Admin Server running on the same host?

Thanks!
libove
AVG Know-A-Lot

Advertisement

Web Hosting

Re: 2011 client unable to connect to Admin Server on same ho

Postby sc123 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:55 pm

If you disable the Windows Firewall on the server does the client on the server connect to the AVG Admin Server?
Regards,
SC123 - Founder, http://www.AVGForums.com
-------------------------------------------------------
Complete uninstall/reinstall method | Other tools to try | Search the forums!
sc123
Forum Administrator

Postby tjacquem » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:17 pm

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem but on a WIndows 2003 SP2 domain controler.
This server is both the AVG admin server and a client. Its client is unable to connect to the remote admin.
All other clients (one windows 2003 SP2 server and to Vista 32bits) are able to connect with no problem.

The windows firewall is turned off on all these machines.

Thanks for your help.

tjacquem
tjacquem
AVG Wannabee

Postby libove » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:21 pm

sc123 wrote:If you disable the Windows Firewall on the server does the client on the server connect to the AVG Admin Server?

Actually, I'm not sure that you can completely disable the Windows Firewall on a Server 2008 system. I tried stopping the Windows Firewall service, and all net connectivity went away. (Fortunately, I was just one KVM switch button press away at the time! Heh).

In any case, I don't think it's the firewall. Packet sniffing would see the packet requests, and see that no responses were received (because the firewall was blocking them).
What I see, instead, is ... nothing. The client never even puts a packet on the wire to the Admin Server. Now, as they're on the same box, I'm not 100% sure that WinPCAP & Wireshark would see the packets. Oops, actually, I just did a test, telnet'ing on the same machine to both its loopback and its LAN IP addresses, and in neither case did WinPCAP/ Wireshark see the packets. Darn.

Anyone know how to sniff packets internal to the TCP stack on a Windows Server 2008 system, so as to be able to see e.g. "telnet [my LAN IP address]", since it never actually goes out a (physical) Ethernet interface??

[ Ah, and in light of tjacquem's post, probably not worth investigating packets and firewalls further; seems like we're not using the AVG product correctly, or AVG has a B.U.G. ]

Thanks.
libove
AVG Know-A-Lot

Postby sc123 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:55 pm

libove wrote:
sc123 wrote:If you disable the Windows Firewall on the server does the client on the server connect to the AVG Admin Server?

Actually, I'm not sure that you can completely disable the Windows Firewall on a Server 2008 system. I tried stopping the Windows Firewall service, and all net connectivity went away. (Fortunately, I was just one KVM switch button press away at the time! Heh).

In any case, I don't think it's the firewall. Packet sniffing would see the packet requests, and see that no responses were received (because the firewall was blocking them).
What I see, instead, is ... nothing. The client never even puts a packet on the wire to the Admin Server. Now, as they're on the same box, I'm not 100% sure that WinPCAP & Wireshark would see the packets. Oops, actually, I just did a test, telnet'ing on the same machine to both its loopback and its LAN IP addresses, and in neither case did WinPCAP/ Wireshark see the packets. Darn.

Anyone know how to sniff packets internal to the TCP stack on a Windows Server 2008 system, so as to be able to see e.g. "telnet [my LAN IP address]", since it never actually goes out a (physical) Ethernet interface??

[ Ah, and in light of tjacquem's post, probably not worth investigating packets and firewalls further; seems like we're not using the AVG product correctly, or AVG has a B.U.G. ]

Thanks.

Disable Windows 2008 Server Firewall: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 6337(WS.10).aspx

I'd try that first, and see if it works. Also, try a push installation from the AVG Admin Server to the server itself - if that's not how you installed it the first time. Manually un-install the AVG client first.
Regards,
sc123
Forum Administrator

Postby tjacquem » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:13 pm

on my side, that's the way the client has been installed on the server.
More than that, it is only the remote admin that's not working as the client is able to update from the remote server, which is as well reachable on port 4158 :-S
tjacquem
AVG Wannabee

Postby sc123 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:16 pm

tjacquem wrote:on my side, that's the way the client has been installed on the server.
More than that, it is only the remote admin that's not working as the client is able to update from the remote server, which is as well reachable on port 4158 :-S

Maybe try using the IP address instead of the server name.
Regards,
sc123
Forum Administrator

Postby tjacquem » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:26 pm

already did that. used simple name, fully qualified one and 127.0.0.1 one as well... it was working on the same server with exactly the same installation type with the previous version... :(
tjacquem
AVG Wannabee

Postby sc123 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:48 pm

tjacquem wrote:already did that. used simple name, fully qualified one and 127.0.0.1 one as well... it was working on the same server with exactly the same installation type with the previous version... :(

I have a Win2k3 SP2 box and AVG 2011 client is running normally on it, and it is also the AVG Admin 2011 server. Using the server name for "Server:", port 4158 and 6051 for "port for incoming messages". The Windows firewall is disabled on that box though.
Regards,
sc123
Forum Administrator

Postby libove » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:30 am

sc123 wrote:
tjacquem wrote:already did that. used simple name, fully qualified one and 127.0.0.1 one as well... it was working on the same server with exactly the same installation type with the previous version... :(

I have a Win2k3 SP2 box and AVG 2011 client is running normally on it, and it is also the AVG Admin 2011 server. Using the server name for "Server:", port 4158 and 6051 for "port for incoming messages". The Windows firewall is disabled on that box though.

So, for those of us who do have this problem, how further might we debug?
Anyone have an answer for my question about internal-TCP stack sniffing, as the Ethernet interface won't see packets sent from-and-to its own IP address in WinPCAP/Wireshark so that method doesn't work for seeing whether the AVG Client is even actually transmitting vs. the AVG Admin server isn't receiving/replying?

Thanks.
libove
AVG Know-A-Lot

Postby tjacquem » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:43 am

I will try to remove any AVG trace on the server, and then reinstall.
Will let you know the result.
tjacquem
AVG Wannabee

Postby waldrondigital » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:53 pm

I have the exact same problem on a virgin Windows 2008 64-bit (original, not R2) system. It ran AVG 9 fine. AVG 11 works great except for this g*damn Remote Administration "Not Active" issue. Mine does the same as yours above, where it seems like the network is disconnected from the AVG Remote Admin component, yet everything else works gravy. Same as the rest of you my connection test will timeout. Changing hostnames to FQDN to IP makes no difference. Also I may add that I am NOT running the AVG Remote Admin Server on this 2008 system... the admin is on a 2003 system, but it still doesn't work. (So this has nothing to do with running AVG client and AVG RAdmin on the same system)

Here's what I tried:
Uninstall reinstall until I was blue in face (I tried, network installer, script, manual)
Repaired an existing installation
Uninstalled and ran both the 32-bit and 64-bit AVG removal programs then reinstalled

I'm stumped and it's gotta be a bug. Something specific to 2008 (top poster has 32b I have 64b).. I have a bunch of 2003 and 2003 R2 32-bit servers and have no issues with them.

I think I will contact my reseller as I have a pretty large installation so I can get support through them or AVG directly.

If anyone has ideas I'm all ears.

Thanks!

Mike
waldrondigital
AVG Wannabee

Postby libove » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:10 am

Darnedest thing. I got an answer from AVG tech support on this issue. Though they gave no indication of *why* this should be so, their suggestion worked:

1. Uninstall the AVG Client. (Don't use AVG's total remover, as that will clobber the Admin server too). To do this, there is a helpful "Uninstall AVG" item right on Start -> All Programs -> AVG -> Uninstall AVG. (n.b. It is not necessary to let the uninstall process remove personal settings nor clean quarantines, though I can't swear that the later $AVG folder removal step won't effect some of that...)
2. Reboot.
3. Delete the $AVG folder from the root of *ALL* drives (it was present on three of the four drives on my server).
4. Re-install the AVG Client normally (including the AVG Remote Admin client component). Magic. It connected to the AVG Admin server on the local server host instantly.

I've followed up with AVG asking WHY this was the case, and got a "we're working on that" answer.

So, for those who have this same problem, try again - uninstall the AVG Client. Reboot. And do the magic extra step: Delete all $AVG folders from the root of all drives, then reinstall...

Does it work for you too?

Happy holidays, Happy new year all.
Jay
libove
AVG Know-A-Lot

Postby ffA-GeoSciences » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:11 am

Has anyone else had any luck resolving this issue??

I have it on 4 boxes now, which are a mix of x64 2003 & x64 2008 R2, 3 of them have the same issue.

Failing getting the other ones working is there any way to force a change of server as this is locked out so that the users couldn't change the settings.

Thank you
ffA-GeoSciences
AVG Wannabee

Postby stephanieg915 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:30 am

Stunning buckskin handbags are dear in order to both men and women. The purchase price and magnificence of such bags count on the caliber of the actual leather-based applied, coloration, style and manufacturer. Buckskin handbags, if the materials are of any good quality, go very far. The durability, appeal and models come up with a leather-based bag value spending. Leather bags can be purchased in different sizes along with types likewise. Hauling a stylish hands bag furthermore increases the charm with the overall outfits. Furthermore, the option and also personality of the particular person look for a manifestation inside the choice of a fantastic leather handbag. Buckskin handbags are ideal for going, place of work, and other purposes. An elegant leather-based bag is perfect for just about any official or personal situation. Aside from the handbags intended for each day utilize objective, you will discover healthy and difficult leather bags offered that are ideal for employing inside exploring and also hauling large goods. Different attributes like changeable grips along with shoulder straps, chains, various little wallets like mobile phone pants pocket, checking out credit card pocket as well as other produce a handbag more beneficial. Though conversing about the branded leather bags, your conversation aren't going to be more than talk about the particular Hermes Birkin jpg handbags. Hermes Birkin jpeg bags are actually making the most of a lot reputation on the list of persons for years. Hermes Birkin jpg bags of 49 are great sufficient to carry spherical just about everywhere. Considering that the size is very big, every needed thing that a lady has to take can match completely on this bag. Using eye-catching coloration and equipment, these kinds of bags are very what to crave for. Summer season is the time of year of colors. Thus, will probably be great to possess an exciting fruit as well as glowing blue hands bag rather than the classic brown and african american versions. The simple truth is how the basic dark-colored as well as brown colours tend to be eternal elegance, and there is almost nothing just like these types of colorings. Understandably simple fact, together with the emergence employing diverse colourful handbags, it may be asserted folks have good a new refreshing range. As an example, green is the Hermes Birkin most popular shade of 12 months in relation to the colourful leather bags. And if these kind of vibrant glimmering gems come from Hermes Birkin jpeg, it'll be basically impressive. This particular manufacturer companies bags that are flawlessly very well with every kind of physical appearance.When someone invests an amount within the Hermes Birkin jpeg bags, it can be without doubt they are fully aware the worth of the fashionable bags. Any time a bag is merely to conquer the flavors in the style aware folks, buying such a splendor is similar to a fantasy comes true. Hermes Birkin jpg is a brand liked by celebrities too. When it comes to the try design, bags from this brand name can never disappoint. I make a difference the place where a lady goes, regardless how she is enclosed by the fundamental masses connected with well clothed females, the bag by Hermes Birkin often steals your show. Maybe it's a table conference, or possibly a get together, or even uncomplicated meet up while using friends, a motion picture stealer like Hermes Birkin bag will forever have got the impact.
stephanieg915
AVG Know-A-Lot

Next

Return to AVG Business Editions and AVG Admin