AVG Enterprise v9 Breaking IIS Worker Processes

Assistance with AVG File Server, AVG Email Server, AVG Linux/FreeBSD Editions and AVG Rescue CD

Moderator: Moderators

AVG Enterprise v9 Breaking IIS Worker Processes

Postby verne baxter » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:37 pm

I have been phasing in v9 for about 6 months now and just recently (last week) upgraded the last windows servers to v9 from v8.5 which included two major web servers. Almost immediately both web servers (running IIS) began refusing client connections even after I pretty much turned off all features that I could). I have actually uninstalled AVG totally from those two servers and have had no further problems. This week we have had problems with three other servers that run IIS as other than a primary service (mail server running it for webmail, etc) and have uninstalled AVG fully from them. So, I have five unprotected servers. I note that on the free version this topic has been mentioned since about October of last year but see none in this forum so am starting one.

Note: I will be reverting all servers to v8.5 ASAP. However, here is the rub, even that does not work because it says my license key is not valid when I try to install AVG 8.5 enterprise client. (naturally, my license is just fine and is running on over 30 servers). sigh. Anyhow, anyone else come up against this problem (or set of problems). I have opened a ticket with AVG regarding the inability to install 8.5 and will then, once I'm back to 8.5 on all servers, tackle the problems v9 caused us with AVG support.
verne baxter
AVG Wannabee

Advertisement

Re: AVG Enterprise v9 Breaking IIS Worker Processes

Postby sc123 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:14 pm

To get v9 to work, just install it on the servers and set all of the IIS folders to be excluded from both the scheduled scan(s) and Resident Shield scanning.
Regards,
SC123 - Founder, http://www.AVGForums.com
-------------------------------------------------------
Complete uninstall/reinstall method | Other tools to try | Search the forums!
sc123
Forum Administrator

Postby verne baxter » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:27 am

Thank you for your response. I would much rather the product worked correctly with enterprise level programs. IIS has been around almost as long as Windows. I should not have to work-around a failing on the part of AVG programming, should i? I will revert back to 8.5 (which did not cause this issue) until v9 is fixed. I have opened a ticket with AVG paid support (Monday morning) but have heard nothing back. When I do I will try to work with support although I don't have a lot of time to act as a guinea pig. If you have any suggestions as to why my license (valid until 2011) is showing as invalid when I try to install 8.5 enterprise client on the affected servers I would appreciate it.
verne baxter
AVG Wannabee

Postby andrew » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:58 pm

I feel your pain for I have spent numerous hours tracking down files and copying them to the server housing the admin console so I can exclude them in the PUPs.

As far as the licensing issue goes, I had a similar problem. We renewed our license and we were given a version 8.5 license. It did not work with 9 when it came out. We were then given a license that works with both. It is possible you have the same issue. I hope this helps and good luck!
CCNP CCSP CCDP MCSE
andrew
AVG Know-It-All

Postby verne baxter » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:55 pm

Well, turns out the last for characters were missing from the license key in my database (my bad) so that's okay now. Still waiting for some word on when they're going to fix the IIS issue.
verne baxter
AVG Wannabee

Postby andrew » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:44 pm

This is an unofficial forum so I wouldn't get my hopes up.
CCNP CCSP CCDP MCSE
andrew
AVG Know-It-All

Postby verne baxter » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:32 am

Well, apparently when it comes to this topic there is no official support either. hahaha. I'll open yet another ticket and see if I can at least get a form email back. Thanks for the feedback!
verne baxter
AVG Wannabee

Return to AVG Enterprise Products