Anti-spam

Assistance with AVG File Server, AVG Email Server, AVG Linux/FreeBSD Editions and AVG Rescue CD

Moderator: Moderators

Anti-spam

Postby minditservices » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:40 pm

Hello -
I am new to the anti spam product and I have a question. It seems as though all the anti spam feature does is identify and tag the subject line with [SPAM]. This then gets delivered to the user's inbox, and about half the time Outlook moves it to the Junk E-Mail folder (presumably because it has done its own analysis). Do I have this right?

It would seem to make sense that the server could reject really crappy stuff and then send the suspicious stuff to the junk email folder the user isnt frustrated by it.

How are other people using this product? Walking to each workstation and creating rules for each user? Has someone figured out how to use Exchange Transport Rules with this?
minditservices
AVG Wannabee

Advertisement

Re: Anti-spam

Postby sc123 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:05 pm

minditservices wrote:Hello -
I am new to the anti spam product and I have a question. It seems as though all the anti spam feature does is identify and tag the subject line with [SPAM]. This then gets delivered to the user's inbox, and about half the time Outlook moves it to the Junk E-Mail folder (presumably because it has done its own analysis). Do I have this right?

It would seem to make sense that the server could reject really crappy stuff and then send the suspicious stuff to the junk email folder the user isnt frustrated by it.

How are other people using this product? Walking to each workstation and creating rules for each user? Has someone figured out how to use Exchange Transport Rules with this?

Do you have AVG Admin installed to manage your deployment?
Regards,
SC123 - Founder, http://www.AVGForums.com
-------------------------------------------------------
Complete uninstall/reinstall method | Other tools to try | Search the forums!
sc123
Forum Administrator

Postby minditservices » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:17 am

Yes.
minditservices
AVG Wannabee

Postby sc123 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:06 pm

minditservices wrote:Yes.

Please open AVG Admin and Post a screenshot from Tools>Shared settings for stations>E-Mail Protection>Anti-SPAM>Settings.
Regards,
sc123
Forum Administrator

Postby minditservices » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:48 am

I think you answered my question. I was trying to control this from the Email app on the server not the admin console workstation settings.

Is there a way to reject the really crappy stuff before it hits the plugin?

I do have one other problem. I have disabled the Outlook Plugin because on a number of computers it would take 75%+ of the processor. Any ideas about that? I disabled this about a year ago.
minditservices
AVG Wannabee

Postby sc123 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:12 pm

minditservices wrote:I think you answered my question. I was trying to control this from the Email app on the server not the admin console workstation settings.

Is there a way to reject the really crappy stuff before it hits the plugin?

I do have one other problem. I have disabled the Outlook Plugin because on a number of computers it would take 75%+ of the processor. Any ideas about that? I disabled this about a year ago.

Anti-SPAM filters on the client level unless you use an Exchange server. I'd try re-enabling the plugin to see if the problem still occurs. AVG is constantly optimizing it. 2012 has less problems with this than past versions.
Regards,
sc123
Forum Administrator

Return to AVG Enterprise Products