avg8 scan gives many trojan warnings but does nothing

Assistance with AVG Anti-Malware, legacy ewido and AVG Anti-Spyware applications

Moderator: Moderators

avg8 scan gives many trojan warnings but does nothing

Postby arotal » Mon May 12, 2008 11:45 am

downloaded free version 8 today and did a totalscan(which took forever-3hrs before i stopped it got fed up with it). however it said there was a trojan.zapchast in microsoft/compatability/activex file. but avg did not clear it.test result said 518 warnings but no spyware removed.
should i be worried?
i have tried a further scan and it has uncovered 15 trojans and 4 loggers and a hijacker.they are allin microsoft/internet explorer/activex/compatability
NOW I AM GETTING WORRIED
arotal
AVG Wannabee

Advertisement

Postby sc123 » Mon May 12, 2008 3:22 pm

First, I'd recommend uninstalling any unused programs from your computer and cleaning off any old data. Then install and run CCleaner (download here). This will help to remove less obvious temporary and unused files. All of this will remove some of those reported viruses and warnings, as well as improve scan time.

Next, I'd re-scan the system over and over until it comes back clean. Make sure you have everything else closed when you scan and just let it run. If you scan it more than three times with no change in the results, then you may need to try another program to remove the infestation.
Regards,
SC123 - Founder, http://www.AVGForums.com
-------------------------------------------------------
Complete uninstall/reinstall method | Other tools to try | Search the forums!
sc123
Forum Administrator

Return to AVG Anti-Malware