upgraded to v8 now have grey system tray icon

Assistance with AVG Anti-Malware, legacy ewido and AVG Anti-Spyware applications

Moderator: Moderators

upgraded to v8 now have grey system tray icon

Postby oogleman » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:32 am

have upgraded to V8 Anti-Virus from v7.5 anti malware.
Licences are up to date, cleaned puter inc registry of v7.5, everything should be honky donky.
Every time the puter is re-started the system tray icon is grayed out with a red/white exclamation mark.
Avg's FAQ say that one of the componets is not active, checked that all r "active". click on tray icon and close it, then restart it through
Start/All programs/AVG 8/Avg tray icon and it comes good. Restaert puter and back to grey again.
Up to now AVG have not answered my request for help, so I am appealing to fellow AVG users, any ideas.??
oogleman
AVG Wannabee

Advertisement

Start Your Own Webstore - Get a FREE 14 Day Trial of Shopify!

Postby Kitsune » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:07 am

Oogleman,
I also upgraded from AVG-AM 7.5 to Anti-Virus 8.0. I sometimes notice that when I start my computer, the AVG icon is greyed/exclamation-pointed for a short while, just a few seconds, then becomes normal. I don't know enough about the program to be able to say why. But, have you tried to do a "repair" installation of AVG 8.0? Perhaps something was corrupted on the initial install. I would try that first, if you can. Maybe sc123 will have some suggestions. My program seems to be working very well, with no problems at all. Good luck! :)
"May all beings be at peace...."
Kitsune
AVG Know-A-Lot

AVG V8

Postby oogleman » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:22 am

Did a Repair installation as your suggestion.
It originally came up with the greyed out icon but then something new happened that i have never seen before. After i updated as it said that the anti-virus and anti-spyware needed updating(which i did) up popped a balloon notification by the tray icon that said "disconnected from Watch dog" then after a few seconds it popped up and said "connected to watchdog" then the tray icon went back to normal colour.
never seen this before and what is "watch-Dog"??
Thanks for suggestion i will keep and eye on it. The real test will be will it do the same on the other computer (I have two licences)
oogleman
AVG Wannabee

Postby Kitsune » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:47 am

That sounds like some progress, anyway!
On the Wilders Anti-Virus forum, there are other posters with the Watchdog issue/question:
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1200966
Just to show that you are not alone with this cryptic pop-up! :D I did find out that this is a "service" of AVG that is running in the background (even on my computer, too), but it's not clear what it does. WinPatrol gives this bit of information:
--------------------------------------
AVG Watchdog Service
avgwdsvc.exe

Windows Service
Company: AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o.
Copyright: Copyright ? 2008 AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o.
Version: 8.0.0.80
Created
03/09/2008 2:09 PM First Detected
02/28/2008 2:35 PM File Size
Path: C:\PROGRAM FILES\AVG\AVG8\AVGWDSVC.EXE
-------------------------------------

Someone will eventually give a clear explanation of what this is and how to resolve the pop-up! As I said, it's working very, very well on my laptop, without any issues that I can see.
Hang in there!
Kitsune
AVG Know-A-Lot

Postby sc123 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:37 am

I cannot find any further information on the watch dog service, but it is vital to the functionality of AVG 8.

I have experienced your problem myself on one of my machines but never figured out what the warning state existed. The only change was that I went overseas, prior to that AVG was appearing normally in the systray.

Today AVG has released a new version, 8.0.85. Try un-installing your current version and re-installing using the new download to see if it resolves your issue.
Regards,
SC123 - Founder, http://www.AVGForums.com
-------------------------------------------------------
Complete uninstall/reinstall method | Other tools to try | Search the forums!
sc123
Forum Administrator

Postby Kitsune » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:42 am

sc123 wrote:Today AVG has released a new version, 8.0.85. Try un-installing your current version and re-installing using the new download to see if it resolves your issue.

sc123,
My program updated automatically to this new version with the last update, which required a reboot. So, I did not have to uninstall the previous version.
Kitsune
AVG Know-A-Lot

avg8

Postby oogleman » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:15 pm

Same here, AVG had two updates waiting this morning which seems to have cured the problem. :D
I am still intrigued by this Watch-Dog thingy. :?:
oogleman
AVG Wannabee

Re: avg8

Postby Kitsune » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:15 am

oogleman wrote:Same here, AVG had two updates waiting this morning which seems to have cured the problem. :D
I am still intrigued by this Watch-Dog thingy. :?:

:) I found this posting (#383) in the Wilders forum http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthre ... ost1201477
from someone who apparently "fixed" the WatchDog issue:

"How I fixed the Watchdog issue
This is how I fixed the Watchdog issue:

Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Manage Network Connections > right click Local Area connection > Properties > Disable Internet Protocol Version 6

No more Watchdog alert (maybe AVG is having trouble sending the Watchdog verification through both protocols)
"

Maybe sc123 or someone else will chime in here to say if this is a good idea or not. Or, if you can create a restore point prior to this and you think this applies to your situation, try it out and see!
Good luck!
Kitsune
AVG Know-A-Lot

Postby sc123 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:33 am

IPv6 causes lots of networking issues and I routinely have to disable it. I read somewhere that AVG 8's firewall works with IPv6, but possibly there is a bug. This situation would most likely only occur in Vista since most XP NIC drivers don't include or activate IPv6 by default.

Let us know if Kitsune's find works!
Regards,
SC123 - Founder, http://www.AVGForums.com
-------------------------------------------------------
Complete uninstall/reinstall method | Other tools to try | Search the forums!
sc123
Forum Administrator

Postby oogleman » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:23 pm

Think I will leave that well alone. It seems to be working well at moment, dont know if that applies here as i am running XP prof sp2. But i will certainly have a read of the info. Thanks for reply
oogleman
AVG Wannabee

Return to AVG Anti-Malware