Tech Support Question

Assistance with AVG Anti-Malware, legacy ewido and AVG Anti-Spyware applications

Moderator: Moderators

Tech Support Question

Postby oma53 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:01 am

Could someone guide me to where I could get some help please.
I installed AVG 8.0 (upgraded from 7.5 AntiMalware)
I cannot go into my Yahoo account with this program installed. If I shutdown AVG, I can go into Yahoo with no problem. I decided I would re-install 7.5 and contact tech support. I have been waiting for 3 days now.
Since you can only contact AVG by email, I do not know what to do at this point.
Is there any other way to get a tech support question answered?
Has anyone heard of this problem?
Thank you
oma53
AVG Know-A-Lot

Advertisement

Postby sc123 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:13 am

There is no other way to get support questions answered, and that is one of the reasons we started this forum. Support is most likely flooded with AVG 8.0 issues.

You issue seems fairly easy though. Just re-install AVG 8.0 in custom mode and don't install Webshield. That should give you the latest version of AVG and allow you to access Yahoo.
Regards,
SC123 - Founder, http://www.AVGForums.com
-------------------------------------------------------
Complete uninstall/reinstall method | Other tools to try | Search the forums!
sc123
Forum Administrator

Postby Kitsune » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:40 am

I'm just curious...can't one just disable Web Shield by unticking the box in the Web Shield component, instead of re-installing the program without it? Wouldn't this have the same effect? This is just for future reference, in case others have the same problem of not being able to access something after install. It might be useful to have Web Shield installed, but turn it off when it interferes with something. I, myself, am using AVG Anti-Virus 8.0, having just traded in my AVG Anti-Spyware "lifetime" license, and it is working very nicely.
Kitsune
AVG Know-A-Lot

Postby sc123 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:08 am

The reason I recommend installing without Webshield (until AVG fixes it), is because if you disable it AVG will always show the "warning" systray icon, making it look as if there is a problem with AVG.
Regards,
sc123
Forum Administrator

Postby Kitsune » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:18 am

sc123 wrote:The reason I recommend installing without Webshield (until AVG fixes it), is because if you disable it AVG will always show the "warning" systray icon, making it look as if there is a problem with AVG.

SC123,
Oh, yes, you are right! I didn't think of that. There is nothing more aggravating than seeing the "warning" icon all the time! Thanks! :)
"May all beings be at peace...."
Kitsune
AVG Know-A-Lot

Postby oma53 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:30 pm

Since my last post I re-installed AVG 8.0 (at tech supports request) but still could not access my Yahoo account. I could log on but as soon as I tried to read my mail, I got the following error:
?Your Login Session Has Expired?
Have tried everything that tech support has stated so far and I still cannot get into Yahoo. So far, this is what I have tried.
1. Disable my firewall (still does not work)
2. Uninstall, download new file, reinstall (still does not work)
3. Uncheck Web Shield and Link Shield (still does not work)
4. Uninstall, custom install, do not check Web Shield or Link Shield (still does not work)
5. Disable 8.0 (system works fine)
This has take up a considerable amount of time and I have to get back to my work.
I now have 7.5 re-installed for the second time since 8.0 .
I do like AVG and I want to stick with it so, any ideas on when I should try to install 8.0 again?
Thank you.
oma53
AVG Know-A-Lot

Postby sc123 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:27 am

I'd tell AVG what you wrote in your last post, but they will probably not be able to provide a solution. The answer will most likely be "wait until the next software update". Hopefully they will resolve these issues with the next patch.

Note: A new version just came out today - 8.0.85 - try it out!
Regards,
sc123
Forum Administrator

Return to AVG Anti-Malware