"change"? (didn't know where to post this...)

Assistance with AVG Anti-Malware, legacy ewido and AVG Anti-Spyware applications

Moderator: Moderators

"change"? (didn't know where to post this...)

Postby seani » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:25 am

Well, every time I do a scan I get the same results every time. One being 'shell32.dll' another being 'ntoskrnl.exe' and each time under "Result/Infection" it says "change". what does "change" actually mean? Do I need to get rid of them?

Another thing... just today it came up with 'Boot sector of disc', with the result/infection also saying "change". what is this and do I need to get rid of this also? if so how?

Sorry for being so clueless...
Thanks in advance for any help. And please bear in mind I'm not a computer genius so try to keep it simple! :]
seani
AVG Wannabee

Advertisement

Postby sc123 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:51 am

Change means just that, something has changed those files - which happen to be crucial system files - but that change wasn't considered a threat (unless otherwise stated by AVG).

Frequent changes to these files are unusual, unless you're doing a lot of Windows updating.

Just make sure AVG says "change" and not "threat" or "infected".
Regards,
SC123 - Founder, http://www.AVGForums.com
-------------------------------------------------------
Complete uninstall/reinstall method | Other tools to try | Search the forums!
sc123
Forum Administrator

Postby seani » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:24 am

ah ok... always says change never threat which is goooood. thanks for that, put my mind at ease!
though after i posted this topic i had a trojan horse come up D: think ive sorted that now though...isnt showing up after what someone else told me to do. woop!

adios
Seani.
seani
AVG Wannabee

Return to AVG Anti-Malware