Conflict : AVG 2011 Free & ZoneAlarm

Assistance with AVG Anti-Malware, legacy ewido and AVG Anti-Spyware applications

Moderator: Moderators

Conflict : AVG 2011 Free & ZoneAlarm

Postby Kas » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:04 pm

I have used AVG Free for years and updated the older version to AVG 2011 Free several weeks ago and am delighted with it. AVG have provided an astonishing package with the added Rootkit and ID modules. It went in perfect and has performed impeccably ever since. My sincere thanks to AVG for providing this remarkable program.

Reason for post :-

I had to "Repair" my AVG 2011 due to some system fault which caused a missing file. I downloaded the AVG Wizard and after a few initial clicks, a panel came up saying that I must uninstall my ZoneAlarm Firewall because it was a conflicting program. I had no option, the Wizard stopped at that point.

I disabled ZA, but still the conflict panel came up, so I uninstalled ZA and used the AVG Wizard again. It installed perfectly.
I then re-installed ZA with no conflict flag and now the system combination is working fine.

There are many complaints on the net about AVG 2011 giving problems for a variety of reasons on different Windows versions.
Obviously there is some trouble with AVG 2011 and obviously AVG are busy sorting these problems out.
But apart from the problem explained above, I have had no other trouble and my AV + ZA is working perfectly.

Question ? Why did AVG 2011 label ZA as a conflicting program and cause the trouble of uninstalling my ZA before I could use the AVG Wizard ? Millions of people use both these programs, they are amongst the most popular on the entire Internet.
It was a dreadful nuisance.

My package is :-

Windows 2002 XP Home, SP3
Firefox 3.6.8, AVG 2011 Free 10.0.1170, Sandboxie Free 3.50
ZoneAlarm 9.2.102.000, SpywareBlaster 4.3
NoScript, Adblock Plus, KeyScrambler 2.6.0.0, WOT
IE8 as secondary browser

Many thanks
Kas
UTRINQUE PARATUS - AD UNUM OMNES
Kas
AVG Wannabee

Advertisement

Start Your Own Webstore - Get a FREE 14 Day Trial of Shopify!

Re: Conflict : AVG 2011 Free & ZoneAlarm

Postby sc123 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:06 pm

Kas wrote:I have used AVG Free for years and updated the older version to AVG 2011 Free several weeks ago and am delighted with it. AVG have provided an astonishing package with the added Rootkit and ID modules. It went in perfect and has performed impeccably ever since. My sincere thanks to AVG for providing this remarkable program.

Reason for post :-

I had to "Repair" my AVG 2011 due to some system fault which caused a missing file. I downloaded the AVG Wizard and after a few initial clicks, a panel came up saying that I must uninstall my ZoneAlarm Firewall because it was a conflicting program. I had no option, the Wizard stopped at that point.

I disabled ZA, but still the conflict panel came up, so I uninstalled ZA and used the AVG Wizard again. It installed perfectly.
I then re-installed ZA with no conflict flag and now the system combination is working fine.

There are many complaints on the net about AVG 2011 giving problems for a variety of reasons on different Windows versions.
Obviously there is some trouble with AVG 2011 and obviously AVG are busy sorting these problems out.
But apart from the problem explained above, I have had no other trouble and my AV + ZA is working perfectly.

Question ? Why did AVG 2011 label ZA as a conflicting program and cause the trouble of uninstalling my ZA before I could use the AVG Wizard ? Millions of people use both these programs, they are amongst the most popular on the entire Internet.
It was a dreadful nuisance.

My package is :-

Windows 2002 XP Home, SP3
Firefox 3.6.8, AVG 2011 Free 10.0.1170, Sandboxie Free 3.50
ZoneAlarm 9.2.102.000, SpywareBlaster 4.3
NoScript, Adblock Plus, KeyScrambler 2.6.0.0, WOT
IE8 as secondary browser

Many thanks
Kas

Someone didn't learn his lesson: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=538&p=2131#p2131

BANNED.
Regards,
SC123 - Founder, http://www.AVGForums.com
-------------------------------------------------------
Complete uninstall/reinstall method | Other tools to try | Search the forums!
sc123
Forum Administrator

Return to AVG Anti-Malware