Broken Digital Signature error after last updat

Assistance with AVG Anti-Malware, legacy ewido and AVG Anti-Spyware applications

Moderator: Moderators

Broken Digital Signature error after last updat

Postby oma53 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:50 pm

Hello,
After the last update (virus and program) a couple of days ago, I started receiving the following errors:

C:\WINDOWS\Installer\f38be.msi";"The file is signed with a broken digital signature, issued by: AVG Technologies.
C:\WINDOWS\Installer\7c8c4.msi";"The file is signed with a broken digital signature, issued by: AVG Technologies.
C:\WINDOWS\Installer\52eba0.msi";"The file is signed with a broken digital signature, issued by: Microsoft Corporation.
C:\WINDOWS\Installer\409009.msi";"The file is signed with a broken digital signature, issued by: Microsoft Corporation.
C:\WINDOWS\Installer\304810.msi";"The file is signed with a broken digital signature, issued by: Microsoft Corporation.
C:\WINDOWS\Installer\16cecc.msi";"The file is signed with a broken digital signature, issued by: Microsoft Corporation.
C:\WINDOWS\Installer\16cea3.msi";"The file is signed with a broken digital signature, issued by: Microsoft Corporation.
C:\WINDOWS\Installer\14589.msi";"The file is signed with a broken digital signature, issued by: Microsoft Corporation.
C:\WINDOWS\Installer\128200.msi";"The file is signed with a broken digital signature, issued by: Microsoft Corporation.

When I Googled this error I found a few stating I should ignore this but a few sites stated this was a definite problem.
If I go to Properties for the files, they state they are from Microsoft and AVG as the errors state.
I have ran MalwareBytes, and also done a rescue CD scan with AVG and Avira, all come up clean.

Any suggestions please?

Thank you.

AVG 2011 – version 10.0.1170
XP Pro SP3 with all the updates
oma53
AVG Know-A-Lot

Advertisement

Start Your Own Webstore - Get a FREE 14 Day Trial of Shopify!

Re: Broken Digital Signature error after last updat

Postby oma53 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:49 pm

Hello,
Out of boredom I sent the files to VirusTotal and they came back clean.
The more I try to research this the more confused I am. I see this being reported in rootkits mostly but a few threads state to just ignore this.

When I place the cursor over f38be.msi it states the author is Microsoft.
When I look at its properties it states the certificate if from AVG.
Is this normal? (again, this file is clean from VirusTotal and all my other security)

Thanks again.
oma53
AVG Know-A-Lot

Postby Dnes » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:18 pm

hi, the same is happening to me.i feel the same about my research as well??so here we are trying to get some answers.
Attachments
aassgg.jpg
aassgg.jpg (236.15 KiB) Viewed 6061 times
Dnes
AVG Wannabee

Postby Dnes » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:42 pm

hello
Dnes
AVG Wannabee

Postby sc123 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:49 pm

I can't find any definitive answers for this issue. The best thing I can find is a vague FAQ entry (http://www.avg.com/us-en/faq.num-3529#num-3529). I'd contact AVG support directly.
Regards,
SC123 - Founder, http://www.AVGForums.com
-------------------------------------------------------
Complete uninstall/reinstall method | Other tools to try | Search the forums!
sc123
Forum Administrator

Postby oma53 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:37 pm

Thank you sc123 for your reply.

My problem now is that my version of AVG was purchased through re-seller in the USA, so I can not contact AVG directly.
Tech support for my version of AVG has stated that they have seen this and “sometimes it is a rootkit and other times it is a FP”. They then suggested I could “reformat” if I wanted to make sure.
This is very frustrating for me as all I want to know is why AVG is picking this up now?
I am not that computer savvy so I have to depend on others for answers/solutions for issues like this.

Who can I contact now with this question please?

I have tried everything that my knowledge can think of.

Thank you.
oma53
AVG Know-A-Lot

Postby sc123 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:17 pm

oma53 wrote:Thank you sc123 for your reply.

My problem now is that my version of AVG was purchased through re-seller in the USA, so I can not contact AVG directly.
Tech support for my version of AVG has stated that they have seen this and “sometimes it is a rootkit and other times it is a FP”. They then suggested I could “reformat” if I wanted to make sure.
This is very frustrating for me as all I want to know is why AVG is picking this up now?
I am not that computer savvy so I have to depend on others for answers/solutions for issues like this.

Who can I contact now with this question please?

I have tried everything that my knowledge can think of.

Thank you.

No reseller should tell you that you cannot contact AVG directly. As long as you have a valid AVG license, you can always submit a ticket here: http://www.avg.com/us-en/customer-support
Regards,
SC123 - Founder, http://www.AVGForums.com
-------------------------------------------------------
Complete uninstall/reinstall method | Other tools to try | Search the forums!
sc123
Forum Administrator

Return to AVG Anti-Malware