Is 7.5 no longer supported?

Assistance with AVG Anti-Virus Professional and AVG Anti-Virus plus Firewall

Moderator: Moderators

Is 7.5 no longer supported?

Postby cobi » Fri May 08, 2009 3:28 pm

I'm not really a fan of 8.5 (running it on my PC, and crashed two of our servers during upgrades!). I left my users on 7.5, but it looks like they can no longer update?

It says they are out of date, but if you manually check for updates is says there aren't any. Which is it?

Looks like we have to upgrade to 8.5?
cobi
AVG Wannabee

Advertisement

Re: Is 7.5 no longer supported?

Postby steveng » Sat May 09, 2009 9:52 am

I am experiencing the exact same problem with 7.5.557. It says virus definitions are out of date but when I click update it says they are already up to date. That doesn't make any sense. My taskbar icon remains gray. I paid for a two year subscription which at the moment is useless. What's up?
steveng
AVG Wannabee

Postby sc123 » Sun May 10, 2009 8:09 pm

Support ended for 7.5 on April 30th, per AVG:

We would like to inform you that support of all AVG 7.5 products was discontinued on April 30th, 2009. This applies to both virus and program updates, and also to the technical support.

AVG 7.5 is still working, however no new updates are being downloaded. When the AVG virus database is outdated we cannot ensure that AVG 7.5 will protect your computer against the newest threats.

If you are still running an AVG 7.5 version, we strongly advise you to upgrade to AVG 8.5 as soon as possible. The upgrade to AVG 8.5 is available free of charge.

AVG has steadily improved v8.5 since it's initial release - give it another try and use our installation guide.
Regards,
SC123 - Founder, http://www.AVGForums.com
-------------------------------------------------------
Complete uninstall/reinstall method | Other tools to try | Search the forums!
sc123
Forum Administrator

Postby avgfan » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:06 pm

"Sort of" - I have a robotics lab running my scheduling programs on NT, so I don't have the option to go to 8.5. I must say, I am disappointed that 7.5 was just dropped, especially since I have a multi-user license. Anyway, I noticed that 8.5 has a different URL for updates, so I tried using that on my 7.5. It seems to update just fine (just the virus updates, and manually - I never use automatic updates for anything on my robot computers), and the grayed icon goes to color, and it seems that everything is up to date and working fine. HOWEVER, there is this INCREDIBLY ANNOYING window that pops up randomly giving me the choice to update or "REMAIN UNPROTECTED". Of course, I have to "remain unprotected", but I sure as heck would like to know how to disable this window - I'm going to be really peeved if it pops up and wrecks a $10,000 experiment. It seems that I'll have to go to Kaspersky to protect this computer if I can't get rid of that pop-up window.
avgfan
AVG Wannabee

Postby sc123 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:54 pm

NT - as in, NT 4.0?
Regards,
sc123
Forum Administrator

Postby avgfan » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:30 pm

yes, sp6
avgfan
AVG Wannabee

Postby sc123 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:05 am

Well, I can't recommend running AVG 7.5 - you're leaving yourself open to numerous threats and it's unsupported by AVG. If you are really going to keep running NT 4 then you'll need to find another solution.
Regards,
sc123
Forum Administrator

Postby avgfan » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:12 pm

c'est la guerre!
thanks
avgfan
AVG Wannabee

Postby WCG » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:03 pm

I've got the same problem, though it's only temporary, I hope. My computer crashed, so I have to use an old Windows 98 machine to access the Internet right now. Of course, Microsoft doesn't support Windows 98 anymore, either, but I hate to be online without virus protection.

Well, AVG 7.5 does seem to be working, just without updates. I suppose it will be OK for awhile.
WCG
AVG Wannabee

Postby KrazyKong » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:25 am

I'm still using AVG 7.5, mainly due to how well it performs. I'm running the latest virus definitions as well.

I tried using the newer versions (8,8.5,9), but the system slowdown experienced was intolerable. So I did something about it and made 7.5 work just fine on my system. I'm running XP SP3. So if you really want to use 7.5 it's possible.

KrazyKong
AVG Wannabee

Postby sc123 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:42 pm

Again, this is not advisable. The 7.5 engine is quite outdated. It's as if all of your neighbors told you they installed new security systems for their homes but you insisted on just keeping your trusty screen door because it was light weight and required no further investment. If a thief is scouting your neighborhood, they will surely pick your home to burgle!
Regards,
sc123
Forum Administrator

Postby KrazyKong » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:16 am

I understand your analogy, but with the latest virus definitions, AVG 7.5 can detect the same nasties as the later versions. Had I been using two year old definitions, then your example of the screen door would make more sense.

Like most software companies, AVG are no different in repacking and re-releasing essentially the same product under the hood every 6 months to a year. Of course the new versions of AVG have more features, fancier menus and things they can do, but does that equate to actually meaning they can protect you any better. I'm not so sure. By having the latest virus and trojan definitions running with AVG 7.5, unless there is an explicit flaw in the coding of 7.5 that is being taken advantage of, a virus scanner simply scans whats in memory and what's on your media. Thus my protection should be as good now as it was when 7.5 was being used more freely.
KrazyKong
AVG Wannabee

Postby sc123 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:36 am

KrazyKong wrote:I understand your analogy, but with the latest virus definitions, AVG 7.5 can detect the same nasties as the later versions. Had I been using two year old definitions, then your example of the screen door would make more sense.

Like most software companies, AVG are no different in repacking and re-releasing essentially the same product under the hood every 6 months to a year. Of course the new versions of AVG have more features, fancier menus and things they can do, but does that equate to actually meaning they can protect you any better. I'm not so sure. By having the latest virus and trojan definitions running with AVG 7.5, unless there is an explicit flaw in the coding of 7.5 that is being taken advantage of, a virus scanner simply scans whats in memory and what's on your media. Thus my protection should be as good now as it was when 7.5 was being used more freely.

You're assumption that the scanning engine hasn't changed since 7.5 is incorrect. It has been improved in many ways, and altered to protect against today's threats, which the 7.5 engine cannot do. Ever heard of something called "heuristics"? This is based almost exclusively on the engine and programs from the 7.5 era can't come close to what modern applications can do.

Further, older applications, though not specifically AVG 7.5 to my knowledge, pose severe security risks. Ask anyone with an older version of Symantec's security software which has been exploited time and time again.
Regards,
sc123
Forum Administrator

Postby KrazyKong » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:29 pm

Hmm an interesting read. I guess maybe it is time to try the newer versions again. I have done so with each new version past 7.5, but always ended up going back again. The amount of memory and system slowdown was killing the usability of my computer. I only have a P4 3.4ghz but you'd think that should be enough to not have your hard drive going constantly and programs taking forever and a day to load. With 7.5 you don't even notice you're running a virus scanner. With the newer ones, you notice immediately and suddenly your computer feels years older and very slow.
KrazyKong
AVG Wannabee

Postby sc123 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:23 am

There are two things you can do about that:

1) Add more RAM to your machine. AVG recommends at least 512MB of RAM and I can say that it will run with that amount, but I'd recommend at least 1GB on any computer you use daily. If you're running a lot of programs at once, you can monitor your RAM usage in Task Manager and add more RAM if needed - it's cheap, easy to install, and is the most cost effective way to improve the performance of your machine on a hardware level.
2) Install AVG per our guide, linked below. If you install it without some of the optional components, you will notice less performance degradation while maintaining the core scanning components.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=145

It should also be noted that after installation of v9 of AVG, an Optimization Scan takes place that often makes people think something is wrong and slowing down their machines. Just let it complete and all will be well.
Regards,
sc123
Forum Administrator

Next

Return to AVG Anti-Virus Professional