Moderator: Moderators

Re: AVG 2011 PC Analyzer

Postby doej » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:00 am

AVG PC Analyzer identified many registry issue, a lot of temp files and
high level of fragmentation.

None of that is true. The registry entries identified are ok and legit, the
temp files don't exist and the fragmentation level is 0%, not the reported
41%. This is reminiscent of the many online registry and PC tuneup scan
software (Error Doctor et al) which infect your machine with viruses instead.

Tell me it ain't true ... should I be switching to a different product?????
(I guess I am asking the wrong folks ... I will find out this gets censored out)
doej
AVG Wannabee

Advertisement

Start Your Own Webstore - Get a FREE 14 Day Trial of Shopify!

Postby cyberdyne » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:07 am

doej wrote:AVG PC Analyzer identified many registry issue, a lot of temp files and

(I guess I am asking the wrong folks ... I will find out this gets censored out)

I'm on your side if I don't get the option to uninstall this crapware from my PAID versions.
cyberdyne
AVG Know-A-Lot

Postby sc123 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:43 pm

doej wrote:AVG PC Analyzer identified many registry issue, a lot of temp files and

It's not dangerous - it's a legit product that AVG has integrated into their lineup. Can't speak to the misidentifications, but you could send a ticket into AVG and they can tell you what it's seeing. You should be able to remove the component via a custom install or repair with the latest version from www.avg.com/download.
Regards,
SC123 - Founder, http://www.AVGForums.com
-------------------------------------------------------
Complete uninstall/reinstall method | Other tools to try | Search the forums!
sc123
Forum Administrator

Postby cyberdyne » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:49 am

sc123 wrote:It's not dangerous - it's a legit product that AVG has integrated into their lineup. Can't speak to the misidentifications, but you could send a ticket into AVG and they can tell you what it's seeing. You should be able to remove the component via a custom install or repair with the latest version from http://www.avg.com/download.

No. It will still not allow this.
cyberdyne
AVG Know-A-Lot

Postby anybody » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:17 pm

Very annoying "feature". Reminds me more of scareware than of a trustworthy virus scanner if on a fresh and clean Windows Installation it already complains about hundreds of so called "registry errors". And looking at the details then doesn't really explain what the heck is supposed to be wrong about those entries.

And the junk files it complains about is nothing more than the temp folder. What a worthless and annoying component in AVG 2011 :(

This really should be deselectable at install-time (which it isn't).
anybody
AVG Wannabee

Postby sc123 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:18 pm

cyberdyne wrote:
sc123 wrote:It's not dangerous - it's a legit product that AVG has integrated into their lineup. Can't speak to the misidentifications, but you could send a ticket into AVG and they can tell you what it's seeing. You should be able to remove the component via a custom install or repair with the latest version from http://www.avg.com/download.

No. It will still not allow this.

I have installed AVG Internet Security and I see what you're talking about. It's odd that PC Analyzer is only present in IS, and not the standard Anti-Virus version. I have contacted AVG and I'm waiting to hear back.
Regards,
sc123
Forum Administrator

Postby SE4N » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:27 am

I've been using AVG for over 2 years, on mine and my clients computers. I and my employees have installed hundreds of copies of the software. However, if there is no way to disable this PC Analyzer CRAP, I will very soon be moving to endorse a new product. AVG needs to wise up, and recognize that this is absolute JUNK, the type of thing I advise my clients against. It's extremely annoying, and makes me not want to recommend the product. I have told my clients that I recommend AVG because it takes care of everything for you, and is non-intrusive, and is less of a resource hog than the other popular AV software, such as McAfee or Norton. Now, AVG is giving my clients (and me!) these stupid "Analyze Your PC" popups all the time, and they don't know what to do. I don't want my client to have to worry about that. Their AV should take care of everything for them, and not automatically install a bunch of superfluous bogusness. I'm sick of having to custom install every installation and remove the extra crap. Yahoo toolbar? AVG toolbar? Identity protection? Link scanner? AVG sidebar? Wtf? Firefox protects me just fine. I don't need your toolbars, I don't need your link scanners. I've been doing it this way for years with no problems. AVG used to be good, now it's getting bloated just like all the rest. They better start giving us options to disable this stuff if they want any sort of chance of us sticking with them.
SE4N
AVG Wannabee

Postby cyberdyne » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:32 am

SE4N wrote:I've been using AVG for over 2 years, on .......//.. They better start giving us options to disable this stuff if they want any sort of chance of us sticking with them.

Hear, hear, agree 100% :wink:
(but tell AVG, his isn't an official forum) :?
cyberdyne
AVG Know-A-Lot

Postby sc123 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:04 pm

SE4N wrote:I've been using AVG for over 2 years, on mine and my clients computers. I and my employees have installed hundreds of copies of the software. However, if there is no way to disable this PC Analyzer CRAP, I will very soon be moving to endorse a new product. AVG needs to wise up, and recognize that this is absolute JUNK, the type of thing I advise my clients against. It's extremely annoying, and makes me not want to recommend the product. I have told my clients that I recommend AVG because it takes care of everything for you, and is non-intrusive, and is less of a resource hog than the other popular AV software, such as McAfee or Norton. Now, AVG is giving my clients (and me!) these stupid "Analyze Your PC" popups all the time, and they don't know what to do. I don't want my client to have to worry about that. Their AV should take care of everything for them, and not automatically install a bunch of superfluous bogusness. I'm sick of having to custom install every installation and remove the extra crap. Yahoo toolbar? AVG toolbar? Identity protection? Link scanner? AVG sidebar? Wtf? Firefox protects me just fine. I don't need your toolbars, I don't need your link scanners. I've been doing it this way for years with no problems. AVG used to be good, now it's getting bloated just like all the rest. They better start giving us options to disable this stuff if they want any sort of chance of us sticking with them.

I agree about the PC Analyzer criticism, but you're doing your customers and friends a disservice by not installing ID Protection. It's not actually what it sounds like, rather ID Protection is the advanced malware scanning engine that protects them against real-time threats. See our guide: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=145
Regards,
sc123
Forum Administrator

PC Analyzer Embeddd SPAM is a dog "Tic"

Postby finge » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:39 pm

Putting that "Bait and Hook" advertisement “PC Analyzer” into the paid version without an the option to omit during the installation, or a way to remove currently, is a direct reflection of other possible problems with the software not yet detected. The bean counters have forced the programmers to install it into the paid version. Bad move. That makes me nervous and I have no choice but to stop recommending AVG until not only that problem is solved, but the current version has a track record I can trust to recommend. Some pay for protection because they trust what you’ve bought. I didn’t expect having to deal with imbedded SPAM. I hate "sneakware" anyway. This also makes for double work if you’re an individual who remotes to many friends and family, taking care of their machines, recommending, assisting their buying and documentation processes, installing and customizing their paid AVG 2011, being the one to install and service those machine, only to have to “set an ignore switch” knowing that later, you’ll have to uninstall and reinstall that program again just to get rid of this “Tic ”?
This Slam is pointed to the "bean counters" not the programmers? If I wasn't an AVG fan I wouldn't care less about taking the time to comment on this. I'll stick it out and see what they come up with, but mostly to see when and how they do it. Who ever thought of this one should be fired before they screw up the "Trust Factor" for sure.
finge
AVG Wannabee

Postby skoop » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:57 pm

[quote][quote]cyberdyne wrote:
sc123 wrote:
It's not dangerous - it's a legit product that AVG has integrated into their lineup. Can't speak to the misidentifications, but you could send a ticket into AVG and they can tell you what it's seeing. You should be able to remove the component via a custom install or repair with the latest version from http://www.avg.com/download.

Your Answer:I have installed AVG Internet Security and I see what you're talking about. It's odd that PC Analyzer is only present in IS, and not the standard Anti-Virus version. I have contacted AVG and I'm waiting to hear back.

Have you ever heard anything back from AVG or do they treat you like they treat their customers
skoop
AVG Wannabee

Postby sc123 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:35 pm

I just re-installed using the 1170 installation file to test and see if I could opt-out of installing PC Analyzer - nope. You can right click PC Analyzer and "Ignore the state of this component", though I'm not sure if that disables the prompting - we'll see. I'll also follow up with AVG on my end and see what they say.
Regards,
sc123
Forum Administrator

Postby skoop » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:35 pm

Thanks for checking again. I (we) appreciate your help. I am a customer of AVG until 2011 when I have to renew so will be watching closely. I will not install something that I don't have the option to opt out of and if AVG do not give this then I am sure they will loose customers.
skoop
AVG Wannabee

Postby diggolf » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:15 am

I have been selling AVG for the last 3 years because overall it is an excellent product. After finding PC Analyzer in AVG IS, I stopped selling that product until they allow elimination of this nuisance. I just installed a copy of AVG AV this am and they have now included this crapware in the standard AV product as well. Looks like I'll be selling another product from now on.....
diggolf
AVG Wannabee

Postby sc123 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:05 pm

The official response from AVG is that the ability not to install the PC Analyzer component is now a "feature request" and should be integrated into a future release of the product. No word on when this will happen. They tell me that it was integrated into the product in the first place to help users optimize their machines. Some people never do the routine maintenance that PC Analyzer does, so they thought that it would help improve the performance of their machines. Hopefully the "future release" will be sooner, rather than later.
Regards,
sc123
Forum Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to AVG PC Tuneup