There are a number of other great applications to try if you still think you're infected after running AVG, as well as for general PC maintenance. Of course the first thing we recommend trying is running a full scan with AVG Anti-Virus, but should that leave you wanting more then here are a few more (free!) tools to run:Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
- New on the scene, but known to clear some items that others can't.Ad-Aware Personal
- A venerable program used for years to remove malware that is always a good choice. It usually finds something, even if it's just a naughty cookie.Spybot Search & Destroy
- One of the original spyware removal apps, Spybot has fallen out of circulation recently due to a stale interface, slow scanning, and smallish database. It is still worth trying and can optionally provide protection against some threats.Windows Defender
- Microsoft's free spyware protection and removal tool runs actively in memory so it won't help your system performance, but we find it does a decent job at malware protection. We only use this program when the others aren't working because of its slower scanning speed and the time it takes to install and uninstall it (we rarely leave it running, as we prefer AVG for active security).CCleaner
- This bundle of joy removes all of the crap from your computer, hence the name CrapCleaner (CCleaner). Say goodbye to temporary files, browsing histories, application temp files, junk registry entries, and other assorted garbage with one mouse click!PC Decrapifier
- Got a new computer with tons of pre-installed trash on it? Use this simple tool to easily remove it all in one fell swoop!AVG Removal Tool
- If you're having problems removing or re-installing AVG, try this tool.Hitman Pro
- This is great for removing certain kinds of trojans and rootkits, and finds proxy redirects that most other programs miss. If your search engine keeps redirecting you to other sites, try this app. (Discounted Hitman Pro licenses here
- A website where you can upload files to be scanned by numerous anti-virus engines to determine if it is truly a virus.Advanced SystemCare Free
- Tool to optimize Windows, clean temp files and remove limited threats.
Do you have a favorite free
utility that isn't listed? Post it below and let us know what it does!