How we recommend installing AVG

Looking for a guide or a link to a guide?

Moderator: Moderators

How we recommend installing AVG

Postby sc123 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:34 pm

We are often asked how we recommend installing AVG, since there are an ever growing number of optional components. There are a few suggestions we usually make that we believe provide the security you need without compromising nearly as much performance as is sacrificed in the default installation.

It should be noted that we are not affiliated with AVG. We make these suggestions based on countless installations and our experience troubleshooting issues.

These recommendations apply to AVG Anti-Virus and Internet Security.

-Prior to installation, uninstall all other security programs. This includes things like Spybot and Adaware. They can conflict with AVG and keep the installation from succeeding. You can re-install them later as needed.
-Disable any firewalls loaded on your computer, such as Windows Firewall or ZoneAlarm. Uninstall them if you intend to use the firewall in AVG Internet Security. We always recommend using a hardware firewall over any software firewall, including AVG's.
-Always download the latest version of the installation file from AVG.
-Make sure your system meets the minimum requirements. Though the requirements are quite low, some people will try to install on Windows 98 or Windows 2000, which are no longer supported.
-(Power users only) When installing AVG, perform a Custom Install. Just execute the installation as normal, and choose "Custom Install" rather than "Quick Install". If you're running Vista or Windows 7 you'll see the option to install the Sidebar widget. We recommend disabling this, because you can perform all of the actions it offers just by right clicking the AVG system try icon. This will give you the option to uncheck Online Shield and LinkScanner. Power users don't really need this protection, and some of it is already provided by Google and other search engines. Read below for more details. No need to install the AVG Toolbar, either.
-(Normal users) When installing AVG, perform a Custom Install. Just execute the installation as normal, and choose "Custom Install" rather than "Quick Install". If you're running Vista or Windows 7 you'll see the option to install the Sidebar widget. We recommend disabling this, because you can perform all of the actions it offers just by right clicking the AVG system try icon. Install the default features, including Online Shield and LinkScanner, but on the next screen uncheck the AVG Toolbar. Toolbars are lame.

Why do we recommend NOT installing Online Shield or LinkScanner for power users?

Online Shield does two things - it is a type of a real time resident protection; it scans the content of visited web pages (and possible files included in them) even before these are displayed in your web browser or downloaded to your computer. It also detects that the page you are about to visit includes some dangerous javascript, and prevents the page from being displayed. Also, it recognizes malware contained in a page. It's the component that scans your instant messenger as well. We don't think power users need this protection, but it's one we're keeping a close eye on as it is becoming more and more important. Normal users should install this one because they are more likely to go to sites that are dangerous without knowing.

LinkScanner scans search results and web content for malicious code. This functionality is integrated into most modern web browsers, which usually implement it better. Search engines like Google scan sites and warn you as well. There are also other problems with LinkScanner that keep us from recommending it for power users at this time, but it's a good tool to protect normal users from those sites that look real, but are really dangerous.

Why all AVG Internet Security users should install Identity Protection.

Identity Protection is a feature that on the surface seems to be for normal users only, but in actuality everyone should install it. It doesn't just prevent theft of information like passwords and credit card data, but it also scans processes for malicious code, much in the same way that SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware do. It's an extra level of protection we recommend everyone enable.

In conclusion...

Power users can cut down AVG's footprint considerably, while still being protected against threats. Normal users truly can benefit from the extra level of protection that Online Shield and LinkScanner provide, even if they will have to sacrifice a bit of performance.
Last edited by sc123 on Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updating for AVG 2011
Regards,
SC123 - Founder, http://www.AVGForums.com
-------------------------------------------------------
Complete uninstall/reinstall method | Other tools to try | Search the forums!
sc123
Forum Administrator

Advertisement

Start Your Own Webstore - Get a FREE 14 Day Trial of Shopify!

Re: How we recommend installing AVG 8.5

Postby philippo » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:02 pm

If we just...um..."happened" to install already in "Standard" mode and also -- did not remove Spybot S&D before installing, would you recommend uninstalling AVG and then reinstalling it following your guidelines?
Thanks
philippo
AVG Wannabee

Re: How we recommend installing AVG 8.5

Postby sc123 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:26 pm

philippo wrote:If we just...um..."happened" to install already in "Standard" mode and also -- did not remove Spybot S&D before installing, would you recommend uninstalling AVG and then reinstalling it following your guidelines?
Thanks

Yes.
Regards,
sc123
Forum Administrator

Re: How we recommend installing AVG

Postby cyberdyne » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:38 pm

First install of 2011 took a very long time after which I could not access Google.com, AVG.com or a few other sites. Some were fine so clearly there was a Firewall issue.
Reinstalled, that fixed the issue.
Seems OK so far.

It's a shame the shadows on the AVG icon looks like a Swatzstika!
Last edited by cyberdyne on Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
cyberdyne
AVG Know-A-Lot

Postby Butch Moore » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:40 pm

I downloaded the installation file, and it says I can't install AVG unless uninstall Zone Alarm first. Anyone know why?
Butch Moore
AVG Wannabee

Postby cyberdyne » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:51 am

Yes. AVG has its' own firewall and therefore having ZA installed already will cause your system issues.
Remove ZA and install AVG, assuming you have a full product license, then you will have a very good firewall from AVG and not need ZA.
cyberdyne
AVG Know-A-Lot

Postby dpippin » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:48 pm

I recently installed AVG 2011 and selected the options i wanted during the install.
It automatically installed "PC Analyzer" with no option to not load it.
How can I delete this module?
dpippin
AVG Wannabee

Postby sc123 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:23 am

dpippin wrote:I recently installed AVG 2011 and selected the options i wanted during the install.

Are you using AVG Free, or AVG in Trial mode?
Regards,
sc123
Forum Administrator

Postby dpippin » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:40 pm

sc123 wrote:
dpippin wrote:I recently installed AVG 2011 and selected the options i wanted during the install.

Are you using AVG Free, or AVG in Trial mode?

No I'm using the paid version
Today the 2011 version did an automatic update and messed up some of my cookies to web sites that I frequent.

I'm seriously thinking of un-installing 2011 and using Version 9 that worked much better
dpippin
AVG Wannabee

Postby cyberdyne » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:47 pm

If this doesn't get deleted also......

Personally, I don't think there are any problems with 2011, I just think AVG are trying to sneak components in which we paying customers neither requested nor have the ability to remove.

My installation of 2011 update in the last few days too, but I always delete all cookies upon browser close anyway. However, I don't think you've come across any sort of bug/issue, just a reset of your settings.
cyberdyne
AVG Know-A-Lot

Return to Guides and Links